Thursday, January 8, 2009

Okay, so I forgot to include a Cuckoo (Mangrove Cuckoo)

There is one more cuckoo I forgot to put in the previous bird post...

Mangrove Cuckoo (Coccyzus minor)


As the name implies, Mangrove Cuckoos are found in Mangrove swamps along the Gulf Coast and Southern Coast of Florida. Mangroves are trees that grow in salt water along sea cosats in tropical areas.


One of the distinguishing characters of the Mangrove Cuckoo is the roguish black mask.


"Gah gah gah gah gah gah gah gah...", ahem, excuse me.


This Mangrove displays the other distinguishing mark of the species, its buffy underparts.


They are found in through Latin America and the Carribean, but in the U.S. they are endemic (or only found) to Florida.


When you let me go, I'm going to PLUCK YOUR EYES OUT!!!

No comments: